Kenpo classes in Logroño
Kenpo is a combination of ancient fighting techniques and modern scientific principles, a flow of movements without end. Each movement generates a specific reaction in the opponent, and each reaction guides you to your next move. Each punch is a block and each block is a punch. Each movement flows into the next; this logical sequence of flow and action is the essence of kenpo.
The word kenpo comes from the combination of two Japanese words: ken: fist and po: law
Thus, this martial art, although rooted in the Shaolin temple in China, has come to us through Okinawa and from there to Japan.
It consists of:
- Techniques or set of pre-established defensive-offensive movements opposing a given attack.
- Forms or katas elaborate combination of techniques done in the air.
- Fights governed by rules designed for their performance in competitions.
The technique are proof of the importance given to personal defence. These techniques seek the maximum effectiveness through versatility as a kenpoist may choose among many means of defence using kicks, punches, elbows strikes, dislocations, holds, sweeps, knee strikes, chokes and many other strikes using practically his entire body as a weapon.
Technically, it is based on three principles:
- Continuity: body movements must be fluid, always taking into account strategic changes produced by our movement and that of the opponent to re-situate ourselves in an advantageous position for both defence and attack.
- Economy of movement: every change of position implies either a strike or a series of strikes, or a block and a counterattack.
- Intermittent energy: energy is economised in movements and blocks in order to accumulate it when hitting the opponent.